Below are a range of references highlighting the prevalence and risks of hip fractures, and the organizations that support the use of hip protectors as effective implementations:
"Hip protectors can reduce the risk of hip fracture to between 69-80% if worn at the time of a fall"
- Facilitators of and barriers to Hip Protector Acceptance and Adherence in Long-Term Care Facilities: A Systematic Review. Korall AMB, Feldman F, Scott VJ, et al (2015), JAMDA 1:185-193
Fall Prevention in Skilled Nursing Facilities: A Multidisciplinary Proactive Team Approach to Avoid Negative Health Outcomes and Legal Pitfalls.
- AHLA - Post Acute and Long Term Care Services Practice Group, April 2017 Executive Summary
"Projections indicate that the number of hip fractures occurring in the world each year will rise from 1.66 million in 1990 to 6.26 million by 2050."
- Osteoporosis Int. 1992 Nov;2(6):285-9. Cooper C, Campion G, Melton LJ 3rd., Hip fractures in the elderly: a world-wide projection
"In the year 2000 there were approximately 1.6m hip fractures."
- Osteoporosis Int 17:1726., Johnell O and Kanis JA (2006), An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures.
"Each year, 1.5 million fractures are attributed to osteoporosis, including 350,000 hip fractures"
"95% of hip fractures are caused by a fall"
"Hip fractures are responsible for increased mortality of up to 33% in the first year after the fracture"
- Aging & Disease. 2014 Jun; 5(3):177-182. Radosavljevic N, Nikolic D, Lazovic M and Jeremic A. Hip fractures in a Geriatric Population - Rehabilitation Based on Patient Needs
"Most people who previously lived independently before a hip fracture require assistance afterward. This can range from home health professionals, to admittance to a nursing home or other long-term health facility"
"Hip fractures can be one of the most devastating nonfatal impacts of a fall"
- Injury Prevention 2002;:iv2-iv4. Dr S Binder, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, CDC. Injuries among older adults: the challenge of optimizing safety and minimizing unintended consequences.
"Hip protectors are an effective intervention for reducing hip fractures"